Thank you for your interest in joining the New Mexico Acequia Association for community events! Upcoming public events are listed below by date. At this time, all events are being held online and you can join via Zoom or phone. Email email@example.com or call (505) 995-9644 with questions.
March 4th, 2021 – Acequia Career Day!
Acequia Career Day!
Thursday March 4th, 2021 from 4:00-6:00pm
After the main panel, youth participants will be able to choose which career and livelihood paths interest them, and go into small groups to ask questions, dig in deeper, and brainstorm about how they can get involved in this work now and in the future!
HOW TO JOIN!
OPTION A – Connect from your computer or smart phone app:
- Download Zoom (free – you only need to do this once the first time you use zoom): https://zoom.us/download
- Click or type this web address in your browser: https://zoom.us/
- As the program opens, a box will pop up on your screen asking if it is okay to launch Zoom – click ‘yes’ – and then click ‘join audio conference by computer’
- If you can see but cannot hear when you join – look in your bottom left corner for the headphone icon and click ‘join audio’
OR OPTION B – Call in from your phone:
- Dial: 346 248 7799 OR 888 788 0099 (toll-free)
- Enter the ‘Meeting ID’: 929 5426 4224
FEATURING wisdom keepers and acequia caretakers:
- Gilbert Sandoval & Juanita Revak – father/daughter duo, Mayordomo for East and West Sandoval Ditch in Jemez
- Lucia Sanchez – Commissioner, Acequia del Alcalde
- Dr. Estevan Rael-Gálvez – Director of the Manitos Project and former State Historian of New Mexico
- Levi Romero – New Mexico Poet Laureate 2020, Author and Assistant Professor in the Chicana and Chicano Studies department at UNM
- Olivia Romo – Acequia Poet and Water Rights Activist
- David Garcia – Acequia and community anthropologist, storyteller and músico
- Jeremiah Martinez – Acequia músico, songwriter, guitarist
- Don Bustos – Acequia farmer, Santa Cruz Farms
- Miguel Santistevan – Acequia teacher and farmer, Sol Feliz Farm
- Donne Gonzales – Acequia farmer, Chicoyole Farm and NMAA Los Sembradores Farm Trainer
- Aracely Chapa – PBS/NPR Broadcaster and Documentary Filmmaker, currently producing the documentary “Acequias: The Legacy Lives On
- David Benavides – Acequia lawyer, Director of the land and water rights project for New Mexico Legal Aid
- Paula Garcia – Acequia policy advocate, Executive Director of the New Mexico Acequia Association
- Enrique Romero – Director of Legal Services for the New Mexico Acequia Association
- Margaret Garcia – Farmer and food business owner, Taos Real Foods
- Pilar Trujillo – Traditional herbal medicine remedio maker
- Olivia Chavez – Traditional herbal medicine remedio maker
- Chavela Trujillo – Mapping Specialist for the New Mexico Acequia Association
- Marcos Valdez – District Manager of the East Rio Arriba Soil and Water Conservation District
- Cliff Sanchez – Valencia Soil and Water Conservation District
- Thomas Gonzales – Soil Conservationist with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Hernandez Field Office
- Lily Conrad – Graduate Research Assistant with NM Water Resources Research Institute