Calling youth ages 13-19 from New Mexico acequia communities!
JOIN “Con Fuerza y Querencia” – the 2021 Acequia Culture Youth Leadership Institute!
Learn more about NM acequias and cultural traditions, and be a protector of local water!
Deepen your connection to the land and water!
Grow your leadership skills + explore your passions and future career paths!
Connect with other young people from across the state!
Be part of building a healthy and just future for your community!
Earn a paid stipend!
What? Ten Acequia Youth Leaders from across NM will be chosen to participate in a paid learning and leadership program. We will have guest presenters, skill building sessions, youth discussions and projects on topics including:
- Acequias 101: History, Importance & Uses
- Expressing Our Querencia with Art, Poetry & Music
- Our Connection to the Land: Acequia Farming, Ranching & Seeds
- Language, Oral History & Community Storytelling
- Cultura vs. Commodity – Protecting Our Acequias & Acequia Movement Building
- Acequias in the Times of Climate Change
- Acequia Career & Livelihood Paths
- Youth Solutions for the Future of Our Acequias
Why? New Mexico’s acequias are a unique and important part of our culture, history, and our survival and future. It is essential for the young people of NM acequia communities (you!) to learn more about our acequias, and feel empowered to stand up as the next generation of land and water caretakers. This Leadership Institute will provide a space to learn ancestral knowledge, gain new skills, and work with other youth as leaders protecting our acequia waters and communities.
- Seven, 2 hour sessions between May and September 2021
- Tentative dates (we will talk with youth and families who are accepted to the program to make sure these dates work and choose a time!):
– Sunday May 16th
– Tuesday June 8th
– Tuesday June 22nd
– Tuesday July 6th
– Tuesday July 20
– Sunday August 29
– Sunday September 13
- Youth will also have an independent project (tarea) that they work on between sessions.
- Gatherings will be held online on Zoom for as long as needed. Later in the summer if health concerns change, we may meet in person in the Española area.
- Stipend awards will be provided for each session attended, youth who participate in all activities can earn up to $550.
- If you are not ages 13-19 but are still interested, reach out to us and we can talk about it.
- Apply by April 1st – we will let you know if you are accepted by April 15th.
Applications DUE April 1st
Questions? Contact email@example.com or call – (505) 995-9644