Giving Tuesday is a global day of giving. Your gift to the New Mexico Acequia Association supports our work throughout the year to fulfill our vision of acequias flowing with clean water and people working together to grow food and celebrate our cultural heritage.
So far during 2015, NMAA has worked with hundreds of local acequias, community leaders, families, and youth to keep acequia lands irrigated and our agricultural traditions vibrant. Some of our highlights include the following:
- Leadership development, training, and technical assistance to over 800 acequia elected officials in 29 meetings and workshops. NMAA and NM Legal Aid provided over 400 technical assistance services so far in 2015.
- Youth and family engagement in community-based intergenerational food projects in 30 evenets with 655 participants.
- Community outreach and education through our annual Congreso de las Acequias, drawing over 300 participants. NMAA staff and leaders presented at 14 meetings and conferences reaching 1,800 people, including two national conferences held in New Mexico.
- Advocacy for policies benefiting acequias on the issues of protecting agricultural land, protecting due process in water leasing, and capital funding for acequia infrastructure projects.
- Successful partnership with New Mexico Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts to fund several acequia projects through the NRCS Regional Conservation Partnership Program.
Acequia leaders throughout New Mexico have been models for innovative approaches to water sharing and have been at the forefront of challenging water transfers and water-intensive developments with potentially far reaching impacts to our long term water supplies. The NMAA supports these grassroots efforts with communications, training, and leadership development. Every year, we engage an intergenerational cohort of community leaders through our Escuelita de las Acequias, a popular education school, to be strong and engaged leaders locally and statewide. Your support makes a difference in communities throughout rural New Mexico by supporting the stewards and caretakers of our water – the acequias.
Please consider a gift or membership renewal to the New Mexico Acequia Association. The NMAA is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and contributions to the NMAA are tax-deductible. Join as a member or make a donation by clicking "DONATE" in the upper right hand corner above. Thank you for your support!
Que Vivan las Acequias!!