Sembrando Semillas is our inter-generational program created in 2006 to engage younger generations in the continuation of agriculture and land based traditions associated with acequias. We are cultivating a network of families, youth, mentors, and leaders of all ages that are passionate about their identity as land-based people who express their querencia through working the land, sharing water, growing food, and stepping up as service-leaders!
We are connected throughout several different acequia communities: Mora, Chamisal, Abiquiu, Atrisco/South Valley of Albuquerque, Servilleta, Santa Clara, Chimayo, Taos. Youth and participants work on projects in their own communities with a strong focus on acequia traditions and values. We learn from each other by exchanging ideas, visiting each other's projects and communities, and working the land together. Youth develop skills in acequia farming, traditional food processing, marketing, art, media development, service leadership and more!
You can help secure the future of acequias by sponsoring a youth (Semilla) TODAY for an internship or activity!
- $500 will sponsor 1 youth for a 10 week educational internship on acequia farming, leadership,etc.
- $500 will sponsor 1 youth to attend a 6 day conference on leadership and social justice in Olympia, Washington (Rooted in Community- July 20-25, 2016)
- $100 will sponsor 2 youth to attend our media development training's
- $50 will sponsor 1 traditional food-processing activity for youth (making posole, chicos, etc)
- $25 will sponsor 1 youth to attend a learning exchange at another site